24 Sep Creating a Lesson
Applicable accounts: ‘Regular’ Account ‘Enterprise’ Account
Creating a lesson is similar to creating a course in FranchiZeTrainer. You can have an unlimited number of lessons assigned to a course. At the bottom of each lesson will be a MARK COMPLETE button that is auto-generated by FranchiZeTrainer. When clicked, the user is automatically redirected to the next lesson.
1. Go to LEARNDASHLMS > LESSONS > ADD NEW
2. Enter a Lesson Title
Tip: You may find it convenient to number your lesson names, such as ‘Lesson 1: xxx’ and ‘Lesson 2: zzzz’ however this only works if you plan on not reusing lessons across multiple courses.
3. Enter Lesson Content
Enter lesson material in the text editor. You can simple type, use shortcodes to format data, embed videos, pictures or presentations.
4. Fill out the Lesson meta-box
- Associated Course: Assign the lesson to a course.
- Forced Lesson Timer: Requires a user to stay on a lesson for a specific amount of time. The MARK COMPLETE button is not active until the timer reaches zero (optional). Leave this blank to not have a timer.
- Upload Assignment: When checked, the MARK COMPLETE button is replaced with a field for the user to upload a document. User cannot progress until the Administrator marks the assignment as complete. Admins can mark an assignment as complete, or delete it, by logging in and navigating to the lesson page (optional).
- Auto Approve Assignment: When checked, all submitted assignments are approved without the need for the Admin to review first.
- Sample Lesson: This option should be left blank as it is unlikely to be used (it makes the lesson accessible to users prior to purchase or enrollment).
- Make lesson visible X days after sign-up: Allows you to specify when the lesson is available for viewing (in days). Timer begins after a user clicks the JOIN button, or the course is purchased.
Tip: In most cases for franchisee and staff training you can leave these settings as the default settings, similar to those displayed in the picture above.
5. Set-up the Content Permission (Access levels) to the Lesson
The Content Permissions box deals with who is allowed to access the lesson. Similar to courses it is based on the role of users. You can select one or more roles that you wish to have access to the lesson, simple tick the relevant role. Note this doesn’t change the menu structure of the system.
See in the example below only Franchisees and Support Office Staff will be able to access this lesson:
6. Set Lesson Order (Optional)
Set the lesson order from the Attributes box, this can be used to order the Lessons in a course.
7. Add a Featured Image (Optional)
You can set a featured image for the course. This will display an image above the course. Just click the link “Set featured image” and follow the onscreen prompts.
8. Add a Category (Optional)
This is useful if you plan to list lessons by category using the Lesson List shortcode.
Shortcodes was discussed on the previous article Creating a Course.
Categories was discussed on the previous article Creating a Course.
9. Add a Tag (Optional)
This is useful if you plan to list your courses by tags using the Course List shortcode.
Shortcodes was discussed on the previous topic Creating a Course.
Tags was discussed on the previous topic Creating a Course.
10. Allow Comments (Optional)
You can allow your users to leave comments on your lessons. Usually this is best left as both unticked, as shown in the picture below:
11. Click PUBLISH
Additional Options for Lessons
The Options for Lessons page is where you can indicate the default settings on how you want your lessons to display.
1. Go to LESSONS > OPTIONS FOR LESSONS
2. Configure Options
Sort By – Determines how lessons are sorted for the course.
- Title – Title of the lesson.
- Date – Date published.
- Menu – Based on the number entered in the Attributes box within a lesson.
Sort Direction – Determines the lesson direction.
- Ascending – Alphabetical/numeric order.
- Descending – Reverse alphabetical/numeric order.
- Posts Per Page – Number of lessons you want available on a Course page. Ensure that this number matches the Blog pages show at most number on the Settings > Reading page. By default this is set to 10 and should be left this way.